Top Stories for the Week of April 18th, 2010
Top social media stories for the week of April 18, 2010. This is social media news that you can use. This series happens every Friday and will give you the best resources covering each story. The focus is on finding resources that not only cover the top stories but tell you what these stories mean for you.
Facebook’s ‘Like’ Button
The universal like button is changing the way people interact with sites and the way people seach. Ultimately, it is said that this “like” button puts Facebook in a big competition with Google. Why? The like button is essentially asking its Facebook users to index the web for them. With that information, people can do searches to return results that their friends like the best. Google indexed the web for us, but because we are social beings, Facebook is leveraging that power to get users to index the web for them. Wow. Here are some of the articles I’m liking on this subject of Universal Like.
- Five Reactions Around the Web on Facebook Announcements. – Valeria Maltoni reports on the reactions of Facebook users and tells you how to opt out of these new tools to protect your privacy.
- Facebook becomes the Internet’s Social Glue – Shiv Singh, writer of Social Media Marketing for Dummies, points out the major implications of Facebook’s announcements this week.
- First Take Analysis – Facebook’s Crusade of Colonization – Jeremiah Owyang of the Altimer Group provides a handy matrix explaining Facebooks 5 big announcements.
Twitter’s Revenue Plans
As I talked about earlier this week, Twitter has some big plans to start making money. The first service they are rolling out is Promotional Tweets in search. You can read that article covering the top ten things you need to know about promotional tweets now at the Social Capitalist.
For a more in depth analysis, Brian Solis goes into three lengthy posts on what Twitter’s announcements mean for new media.
- State and Future of Twitter 2010: Part One
- State and Future of Twitter 2010: Part Two
- State and Future of Twitter 2010- Part Three
Social Marketing Analytics – New Research
- Altimer Group & Web Analytics Demystified – Altimer Group tackles the issue of measuring social media ROI. The slideshow makes a great tool and something to think about as you go about your social projects.
- Social Media Optimization Study – Study published this week to check out. Brings new research and insights to the table for measuring social marketing ROI.
Video Marketing and Social Video Stories
- Hulu to Launch Subscription Model – Top Video SEO blog, ReelSEO.com reports on Hulu’s plans to launch a subscription model!
- Viral Video Marketing Leaders Launch Revolutionary New Social Video Seeding Solution – Self explanatory. I have to preach the importance of paying attention to social video and vlogging trends. As our attention spans get shorter, we want answers now, and we want to read less.
The Social Capitalist is the Art of Social Media Optimization. Next week we’ll be starting a guided series to help prime and prepare people for SMO success. Please consider subscribing using the green button in the upper right.